LoveSingapore Statement on the Court of Appeal Ruling:
1. WE AGREE with the decision of the Court of Appeal in dismissing the latest legal challenge to Section 377A.
2. WE APPLAUD the Government’s wisdom in retaining Section 377A in 2007. This goes a long way in conserving public morality, protecting what is good and right for our nation, and reinforcing family as the basic building block of society. In Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's own words, "by 'family' in Singapore, we mean one man, one woman, marrying, having children and bringing up children within that framework of a stable family unit."
3. WE APPEAL to our secular Government in multi-religious Singapore:
- The Court upheld that Section 377A is not inconsistent with the Constitution.
- The Court recognised the underlying complexity of issues before them.
- The Court noted that the merits of retaining Section 377A were robustly debated in Parliament in October 2007. The outcome was a uniquely Singaporean resolution: a political compromise in which Parliament opted to retain Section 377A in keeping with the social norms of the conservative mainstream in Singapore.
4. WE APPRECIATE our Government. We love our nation. This is "Home Truly". We are passionate about her future. We will come alongside our leaders to safeguard our nation's moral fibre. Together, we will keep Singapore exceptional. A Singapore we are all proud of. A Singapore "Made for Families."
4 March 2022
- To work continuously toward protecting the right of every individual or group to profess, practise and propagate their religious convictions which include the dignity of human sexuality and the complementarity of male and female.
- To enshrine in the Constitution the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, establishing this core moral value as the natural order and norm, the right model for procreation, the stable foundation to bring up the next generation for the long-term good and continuity of our nation.